I LOVE Asian cuisine. Sushi … spring rolls … pad thai … lo mein … pho … general tso chicken … you name it, chances are I love it. In fact, I think if I had to choose one cuisine to eat for the rest of my life, it would be Asian. There’s just so much to choose from and it’s all so yummy. I don’t, however, love how many calories most Asian dishes carry, so I was thrilled when I stumbled upon a recipe for a lower calorie, higher protein option. The best part is that it doesn’t TASTE like a healthier option. It is amazing and tastes just like something you would order from a Chinese restaurant.
What you’ll need (or any of your favourite veggies) …
Quinoa toasting in the wok …
The finished product, served with the yummy BBQ’d salmon my husband made …
** makes 8 servings (8 cups)
** each serving is 5 Weight Watchers points
1 ½ cups quinoa
3 cups water
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 diced red onion
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp minced ginger (I use the pre-minced jarred stuff)
- 3 green onions, finelychopped
- 1/2 bag of Mann’s Broccoli Cole Slaw
- 2 cups mixed frozen vegetables
- 3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Rinse quinoa, then toast it in a wok until lightly golden, approx. 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often. Add the water and reduce the heat to medium. Cover and cook until quinoa opens and the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Wipe out the skillet and heat half of the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onions and cook until well browned and soft, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, and green onion, cooking for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Microwave frozen vegetables for 1 – 2 minutes until thawed. Drain excess water.
- Add mixed vegetables and Mann’s Broccoli Cole Slaw to the wok and stir until just wilted.
- Pour in the soy sauce, sesame oil and sriracha and combine.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to a bowl and cover.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add the quinoa. When heated through, pour the eggs over the quinoa until eggs have cooked.
- Return the vegetables to the pan and mix with the quinoa / egg combo.
- Adjust the seasoning with additional soy sauce or sriracha if needed.
Enjoy with your favourite protein … or on its own!