Mmmmmm, cheese. I love cheese. Feta, cheddar, brie, gruyere, mozzarella, boursin … you name it, I love it (and have probably eaten way too much of it). Oh well, you only live once, right?!
One of my favourite cheesy delights is the jalapeño cheeseball I make …
I tried it for the first time many years ago at a friend’s going away party. Despite knowing the person who made it and requesting the recipe several times, it just never ended up getting sent to me. So, I decided to make it from scratch with no recipe other than knowing there had to be cheese and jalapeños in it, LOL. It became my mission to not only make the cheeseball, but also master it. And I can say with confidence that I have. I’m not one to toot my own horn – especially when it comes to the kitchen – but I can say this with certainty because anytime I am invited to a function and am asked to bring something, it’s either this dish or a super easy coleslaw that I make (which is so easy that I almost feel guilty bringing it. I’ll post the recipe soon).
Serve with come crackers and enjoy …
- 1 package of cream cheese (8 oz.), softened
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or whatever cheese you like best)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped finely
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp Cajun spice
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Combine cream cheese, jalapeño pepper, cheddar cheese, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt and Cajun spice in a bowl; mix well.
- Roll ball in walnuts until well coated.
- Cover and refrigerate cheese ball until firm.
- TIP #1: You may need to refrigerate the cheeseball before rolling it in walnuts, just to firm it up a bit.
- TIP #2: This is best made the day before so flavors blend and spiciness comes out.